Council attends UBCM 2016: Key Highlights Day 2
Day 2 of UBCM starts with a Small Talk forum – where Communities under 25,000 met together to share success stories and talk about challenges:
Topics covered were:
Success stories from the Village of Slocan; Village of Lumby, Town of Osoyoos, and Village of Clinton.
Communities challenges covered were – Infrastructure gaps; Drinking water regulations; Grant funding; flooding; and road closures. Further, topics on community engagement; politics in small communities; affordable housing and homelessness..
This was followed by an address to the delegation by Minister of Transportation & Infrastructure; and Minister Fassbender, Community, Sport & Cultural Development.
Next the Council met with Minister of Education covering the following topics: Connectivity for Rural Students; Academic integration with pre and post-secondary and Initiatives to Attract Teachers to Rural Schools. Minister Brenier was very impressed with the District’s Jr Council program. The Council is seeking reliable internet services which would mean:
- high speed access for our schools, libraries and healthcare facilities;
- Better access to provincial programs and services;
- improved quality of life for remote communities;
- support for local economic development.
Following attendance at various plenary sessions including:
- BC Local Governments $200 Billion Infrastructure Challenge
- BC’s Input to National Housing Strategy
- Soil Movement: Contamination and Invasive Species
- Reducing Liability Exposure for Local Governments
- Regulatory changes affecting Agri-Tourism in BC
- And more….
Stay tuned for day 3